Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Kale chips

I've seen "raw" kale chips at various health food stores - they are basically dehydrated kale leaves with assorted delicious healthful seasonings such as tamari, hemp seeds, parsley, omega rich oils, garlic, hot pepper flakes, etc.  We have abundant kale in the garden, and though we try to eat our share with most dinners (steamed, in soups, stir-fried, etc), we are always looking for new and exciting ways to use it.  I thought I'd try out some kale chips myself, drying them for use over the winter months.  Here is my recipe, a compilation of various recipes I found in several raw cookbooks and online.  I found this dressing to be a bit rich for my taste (it's very strongly "cheesey" in a raw, vegan kind of way), so I think for the next batch I make I'll just use hemp oil, hemp seeds and some sea salt for a lighter flavour.  Yum!

Kale Chips
2 heads of kale, washed and torn (I suggest discarding the stalks)
3/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup tamari
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 green onions or scallions, sliced thinly
1 clove garlic, minced
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced

Combine all ingredients other than kale in a blender, and blend until smooth.  Pour over kale and mix well using your hands to completely cover the kale pieces evenly.  Dehydrate at 115 degrees for about 12 hours (depending on how thickly you layer the kale on the dryer tray).  When completely dry and crisp, let cool and store in glass jar for winter snacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment