Thursday, July 28, 2011
Someone turned 3 today! The woodland fairies arrived at our place to celebrate the day: there was a new birthday crown (sewn the night before), favourite stories & popcorn in the tent, then roaming through the gardens, wood-fired personal sized pizzas from the outdoor oven (with our most-loved pizza crust from Feeding the Whole Family), zucchini spice cupcakes (recipe below) topped with fresh local berries (decorated by our 3-year old), and later, dinner outside in the evening with a little campfire. Lovely day.
Zucchini Spice Cupcakes - wheat-free, dairy-free
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
3 farm-fresh or free range organic eggs
1 1/2 cups light spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
pinch of sea salt
1 1/2-1 3/4 cups shredded zucchini, packed
1) Mix margarine, sugars and eggs in a large mixing bowl, stirring well.
2) Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add to the margarine/sugar mixture. Stir until just combined (do not over-mix).
3) Then fold in zucchini and mix again until just combined.
4) Pour batter into lightly greased (or lined) cupcake tray.
5) Bake at 350F for about 40 minutes, until golden and knife inserted comes out clean.
6) Ice with your favourite icing (as cupcakes), or serve plain (as muffins). Variations - add nuts, raisins, chocolate chips to the batter.