Wednesday, July 01, 2009
100-Mile Desserts: Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
Along with our wood-fired pizza (see previous post) we also baked some dessert. A friend had made an apple crisp, and we made a batch of 100-mile peanut butter cookies. Finally, a local dessert recipe that is vegan-friendly (no eggs or dairy!). It's nice to use the heat of the oven while we have it. Here is the recipe - very quick and simple to make. Ours were wood-fired, but here is the household oven version:
Peanut Butter Cookies (adapted from Simple Treats)
3/4 cup rolled organic oats, ground to a powder
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp canola oil
1 cup organic spelt flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1) Preheat oven to 350F. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
2) In separate bowl mix wet ingredients, stirring until smooth.
3) Pour wet into the dry ingredients and stir until everything is well incorporated.
4) Bake for about 15 minutes on well oiled baking sheets, until cookies are golden brown.
5) Let cool about 5 minutes before removing from baking sheets.
Makes 12 large cookies.