Tuesday, July 28, 2009
100-Mile Desserts: Cherry & Oat Cookies
Here's another very simple cookie recipe, which can be adated to any fruit (apple slices, peaches, apricots, cherries, berries), jams or apple butter filling. They are based on the classic "thumbprint" cookie. We liked the cherry and oat combination....
Cherry & Oat Cookies
2 cups organic spelt flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup large oats
12 cherries, pitted and sliced in halves
1) Preheat oven to 350F.
2) Combine dry ingredients. In separate bowl combine wet ingredients.
3) Pour wet into dry and gently stir to combine.
4) The dough will be quite sticky. Drop small spoonfuls onto 2 oiled baking sheets.
5) Press thumb gently into centre of cookie leaving small indentation. Fill with half of a cherry or 1 tsp jam.
6) Bake 12 minutes, or until golden.
Makes aprox. 24 cookies.