Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

Fall jams & jellies - apricot, wild apple, spiced pear butter, mulberry, grape

I think I've finally figured out how to make canning and preserving manageable - today's accomplishments, seeing the colourful jars lined up neatly on the cooling racks with each and every lid sealed, felt like a relaxing day in the kitchen.  The secret is doing this all in stages - one day harvesting the fruit, washing and prepping it; second day cooking up the salsa, jam or sauce; third day heating up the canner, getting all the jars ready, and finishing the preserving process.  It feels like a huge weight off me to see the basil, tomatillos, beets, plums, apples, pears that I feared were going to waste before I could get to them, now preserved for the winter.  What a bounty!  It's nearly the fall equinox, harvest moon time, and I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment