We are loving the fresh peas around here these days..the ones in Maya's garden have come up first (because she watered them faithfully every single day!). There is so much information out there about the benefits of connecting kids with gardens - tactile learning, confidence building, creativity, health, encouraging stewardship of the land, etc...Here are some simple tips on how to make kids feel successful and connected to their gardens and a nice article on this topic from the City Farmer website:
- give kids their very own space to garden in
- let kids help choose (buy/save) the seeds themselves
- encourage them to grow lettuce, carrots, peas, radishes that come up quickly
- spend time exploring the garden (learn about soil life, insects, plants, etc)
- add artful elements (let them make signs, fences, other decorations)
- allow kids to harvest, nibble, and cook with the foods from the garden!