Surprise, surprise - we eat a whole lot of homemade granola around here. We make it in huge batches, and love to eat it with homemade yogurt, or fresh berries, or warm applesauce. We often serve it to our bed & breakfast guests, and our daughter is a great helper when it comes to granola making time. There are lots of steps in the process where kids can be involved - measuring, mixing, stirring.
Here's our favourite recipe that we've perfected over the many many bowls that we've eaten. We like using maple syrup and hemp seeds because they are locally produced, delicious and healthful. Use organic ingredients where you can. Use gluten-free oats to make this recipe gluten-free.
12 cups organic whole oats
3 cups total nuts & seeds (we include flax, sunflower, sesame, pumpkin and hemp; sometimes chopped almonds)
1 cup maple syrup (or honey)
3/4 cup sunflower oil
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups raisins (add these AFTER baking)
1) Preheat oven to 350F.
2) Combine ingredients in large bowl and mix well.
3) Spread evenly on two lightly oiled baking sheet and place in hot oven.
4) Bake for 15 minutes, then take out and stir granola on the baking sheet.
5) Bake another 5-10 minutes, until lightly browned.
6) After baking add 1 1/2 cups raisins and mix.
7) Store in glass jars after the granola has cooled.