Easy Mozzarella at Home Recipe
- 4 litres (1 gallon) whole milk
- 1/4 rennet tablet + 1/4 cup cool (chlorine-free) water
- 2 tsp citric acid + 1 cup cool (chlorine-free) water
- 1/2 tsp cheese salt (or finely chopped herbs or sea salt)
2) Dissolve citric acid in 1 cup cool water (in glass jar or cup).
3) Pour milk into large stainless steel pot and add citric acid solution.
4) Heat on low, stirring constantly until it reaches 90F (or 88F if using raw milk).
5) Remove from heat, then stir in the rennet solution carefully.
6) Cover with lid, and let sit on counter for 5 minutes (10 minutes if using raw milk).
7) Now check for curd - press back of hands carefully down on curd and you should see whey liquid clearly separating from the curd.
8) Cut curd into cubes using a long stainless steel knife (cut while curd is still in the pot).
9) Now reheat pot and bring to about 110F, continuously stirring while it heats.
10) Take off heat, continue stirring for a few minutes.
11) Then transfer the curd into a colander lined with cheesecloth, and let whey drip down into a stainless steel bowl or pot. Gently press with a wooden spoon to press out all the whey.
12) Now heat whey in pot, or hot water in a new pot, until it reaches approx. 185F.
13) Remove from heat, put on rubber gloves (to help protect your hands from the heat) and dip your curd into the hot whey/water bath. You can use a slotted stainless steel spoon for this as well.
14) Allow curd to become soft, then stretch and fold it gently and repeatedly.
15) Add cheese salt (add more or less to taste).
16) Keep dipping and stretching curd, folding and pulling it until it becomes smooth and shiny.
17) When you have it at desired consistency put curd into an ice water bath and it will hold it's shape.
18) Eat and enjoy!