Solar Herbal Oil - Medicine Making Method
You will need:
- clean glass mason jar with lid and ring
- herbal flowers (organic dried, or freshly picked but slightly wilted) to fill jar by half
- olive oil to cover flowers by 1-2 inches
1) Place flowers in clean mason jar. Fill jar about half way full. If using fresh flowers, let wilt slightly first.
2) Cover flowers with olive oil by about 1-2 inches. Let oil settle, then top up as needed. Flowers need to be covered to avoid mold growth during steeping time.
3) Shake jar gently to disperse oil throughout flowers, and dislodge any air pockets.
4) Set on a tray (to catch oil drips) and into sunny window.
5) Let infuse for at least 4 weeks. Shake jar every few days so herbs don't settle on the bottom.
6) When infused, oil should be a rich vibrant colour. Strain oil, compost herbs.
7) Store finished oil in dark glass bottles in a closed cupboard (cool, dry dark location).
8) Use in making herbal massage oils or medicinal salves.