This end of week/weekend at our little homestead...
- canning the last bushel of tomatoes into sauce, ready for winter feasts and wood-fired pizza dinners
- bottling the lacto-fermented crock pickles, our favourite recipe from Wild Fermentation, that are now ready, and storing the jars in the cold cellar
- making another large batch of our favourite hemp & maple granola (recipe below)
- planning an apple picking adventure to nearby Avalon Orchards for the last fall harvestings
- stacking firewood in growing piles for winter warmth
- observing the many bees busily foraging in the fall flowers
- preparing garden beds for the coming of first frost, possibly tomorrow night?
- planting greens in our greenhouse for fresh winter harvests, using methods from Winter Harvest Handbook
- reading: Radical Homemakers; Urban Farm Magazine; Playful Learning
- attending our first local homeschooling workshop this weekend, a daylong "living room" discussion with David Albert
-and baking vast quantities of pumpkin pies for next week's CSA pick-up!
Hemp & Maple Granola
12 cups whole oats
3/4 cup sunflower oil
1 cup pure dark maple syrup
1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds
1/3 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
(other nuts and/or seeds as desired)
Stir all ingredients well to combine. Spead evenly on two lightly greased baking sheets and bake at 350F for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Bake until golden brown and slightly crispy. Granola will firm up once it cools. Stir in 1 cup raisins after granola has cooled.