Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

A Little Bird Told Me Craft Sale Vendor Profile: Taarini Chopra

Over the weeks leading upto our annual handmade holiday craft sale, "A Little Bird Told Me", on Sat, Dec 10, we are highlighting each one of the participating vendors.  Here is a short interview with Taarini Chopra (functional pottery dishes):

Little City Farm: Describe the products you will have at the Little Bird Sale:

Taarini: My pottery is handcrafted and wheel-thrown. I make functional stoneware and porcelain pieces, glazed in earthy greens, temnokus (browns) and deep blues, and fired in oxidation to cone 10. My Christmas collection will include mugs, tumblers, small and large bowls, pasta dishes, pitchers, and vases.
 
Little City Farm: How did you learn this craft/art?

Taarini: I am inspired by the incredible pottery of Waterloo potter and my teacher Jason L’Abbe. I began learning how to throw several years ago, on a traditional a kick wheel in India, sitting under a corrugated metal roof with the monsoon rains beating overhead. Jason has helped mould the fascination that began there into the pots I am now creating.

Little City Farm: What inspires your craft/art?

Taarini: I love the concentration and focus that throwing demands, and the feeling of the clay being shaped under the pressure of my fingers. I also love the precision and experimentation that goes into creating exciting glaze recipes, in much the same way that I enjoy cooking and baking. Every pot that comes out of the kiln is just a little bit different and I am fuelled by the unpredictability of the process, as well as by the individuality of each of the final pieces.

Little City Farm: Describe how your craft/art is eco-friendly?

Taarini: Hand-thrown pottery is perfect for those who choose hand crafted over factory-produced, natural materials over plastics, and who enjoy serving and eating out of pretty and personalized tableware. All dishes are food safe, and can be put in the dishwasher, oven and microwave.


Little City Farm: Favourite music to listen to while you craft?

Taarini: I usually throw in silence, often glaze with Lhasa del Sela, and clean up to Bruce Peninsula.

Do you have a website/contact info?

Taarini: I am happy to take personalized orders. Get in touch for more info: taarinichopra at  yahoo dot com.
Find Taarini and her gorgeous pottery at the Little Bird Sale, on Dec 10!











No comments:

Post a Comment